Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>Replacing A Toilet Fill Valve
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Replacing A Toilet Fill Valve

Sorry for posting before doing my research . . .

Tonight, I discovered that a Fill Value is spraying water when filling; the water is exiting through the flush handle.

I've replaced a Fill Valve before (with a flex supply hose), but this new to even if it's standard.

This one has 1/4" chrome-finish solid pipe, withe compression fitting on the fill valve and the supply shut off value.

I assume I can't reuse the 1/4" solid pipe, even with a new compression fitting to a new fill valve tower (the fitting looks like it's also a reducer).

I want to the keep the supply valve, which is also compression fitted to the inlet pipe from the wall.

What should I do (besides dj1 telling me to call an expensive plumber in No. VA).


Re: Replacing A Toilet Fill Valve

They make flex hoses available at the big box stores. They run about $5 Be sure to get the right one on each end. It can be confusing.

Re: Replacing A Toilet Fill Valve


You don't need to call an expensive Washington DC plumber for this type of work. A skilled handyman will do. Besides, don't you want to stimulate the economy a little bit?

Regardless, the 1/4" tubes are slowly vanishing, very few use them. Choose a flex, as HR said. Make sure you get one that say "closet".

You can do it, they can help.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.