2 posts / 0 new
Last post
replacing paper over wood

I am in an house build in the 1890’s. The walls are rough timber covered with batting and paper. I would like to rip out the paper and plaster over the wood. Is this a good idea?

Re: replacing paper over wood

If the batting you're referring to is insulation batts, you should leave them where they are, unless they're wet or non-functional.

If the rough wood you're referring to is the stud, just hang sheetrock over the studs, finish it and paint. If the paper you're referring to is wallpaper, either strip it and paint the walls, hang drywall over it, finish it and paint it, or maybe give us a little more information in your description.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.