Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>Replacing Oversized Cast Iron Floor Registers
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Replacing Oversized Cast Iron Floor Registers

Hi All,
I'm having my ancient, octopus-looking, heating system replaced in a couple of weeks (hooray!), and have started looking for replacement iron (cast- or wrought-) louvered floor registers. The original registers are badly rusted and/or have broken louvers.
My problem is, I'm having trouble finding any that fit the openings in my floors. The openings in question range in size from 16.5"-16.75" x 14.5"-14.75".
To complicate matters, my house still has its original (c. 1926) fir hardwood floors, which would be difficult to match stock if I were to attempt to accommodate a smaller register and try to fill it in.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where I may be able to locate these? The largest I've been able to locate is 12x14 (from Signature Hardware).

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Replacing Oversized Cast Iron Floor Registers

i've purchased wooden floor grates, stained to match the existing floor. they were beautiful and look a million times better than the metal ones. i bought them ******, i forget the name of the web site but you can find them through a google search. you can also get them in several types of woods and they have all the minwax stain colors

Re: Replacing Oversized Cast Iron Floor Registers

Give Rejuvenation a call, 888-401-1900. Their website indicates that they are reworking their line of reproduction registers, but they can probably get you pointed in the right direction.


Re: Replacing Oversized Cast Iron Floor Registers

You might want to check here http://www.reggioregister.com/ the ones I have bought from them have been of high quality and as advertised.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.