3 posts / 0 new
Last post
replace windows

A ranch style house basement cinder blocks & brick I want to replace 2 windows the opennings are 36"tall48" wide do I use a replacment window or do I need to frame, and install new construction window? If framing could you give advice?

Re: replace windows

I would say it depends on the condition of the framework you have now. If it is ok, buy a replacement window, if not tear out the framework and buy a new construction window. If you are going to replace the framework you could really use either window. Replacing the framework is a matter of building a box. Depending on the depth of your wall 8", 10" or 12" that is the size 2x lumber you need to buy to build your box to the rough opening size (masonary opening). Anchor the box to the masonary opening with any number of fasteners, I would use lead anchors and bolts and countersink the heads. If you are going to use a replacement window you will need to add a trim stop to the interior of the box. It is just a piece of 1x2 or wide trim with about 3/4" depth. This piece goes towards the outside of the box and the window rests against the 3/4" lip (well caulked first, both the trim piece and where the window rests against it. Next, screw the window into the box with 2 1/2" screws, there is usually installation holes already in the windows. If not drill holes in the window jamb at top outside track, center of window, and bottom at the inside track. Put an interior trim piece in the box against the window and your done. Except for any painting you are going to do and be sure to use PT lumber for the box. Hope this helps and I hope I didn't leave anything out. If you have any questions I'll check the threads in a day or two.
If you use new construction the flange nails against the outside of the box and trim over it.

Calcats ;)

Re: replace windows

Calcats way of doing it is probably a good way but you know what they say, if you put 5 carpenters in a room, you'll get 5 different ways of doing something. They'll all probably work too.

Here's an option you might consider too. If you have cinderblock, many times there is a furring strip nailed inside the opening around the window opening in the block. The windows I've used slide in from the outside and then you drive a screw through the side jambs into the furring strips. Many times, this furring strip is bevelled on the inside so you can slide drywall in behind the window jamb and the bevel will force the drywall tight to the window frame. Now you just finish off the drywall on the inside and do whatever trim you need to complete the job on the outside.

And now for the other 4 carpenters in the room.....

Good Luck.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.