3 posts / 0 new
Last post
repairing high gloss chips

We have the high gloss enamal paint on our trim and wainscoting and there are a few places that are chipped that I would like to touch up. Is there some sort of "filler" or something I can use so that it doesn't look all bumpy without having to sand everything to make the surface even?

Re: repairing high gloss chips

Sorry...wish I had better news....

ANY filler will fill the chip.

BUT...it still has to be feather-sanded to match existing surface.
THEN....the real tricky part!
Touching-up the paint.
Bottom-line...you'll always see the touchup spot at the right angle. BUT, it's better than looking at a chip!


Re: repairing high gloss chips

My advice when it coes to touch up is "less is more". Your eye is being drawn to a chip or blemish. Do the least amount to block out that dark or light spot. Use an artists brush or even a Q-Tip to touch up only that area. Don't extend onto the general wall. Try to use the same type implement to apply the paint as what applied the paint in the first place, i.e. a brush if it was brushed, a roller if it were rolled. The light will catch a different texture and make the touch-up more obvious. Don't actually roll with a roller, but hold a roller cover in your hand and dab the blemish, leaving a minimal area of roller texture.

Even if you have the original paint, you will probably see some difference in gloss or color. The wall is now better sealed than it was when the original paint was applied. Your patch is less well sealed.

Faron is correct: it would be a rare patch that did not show to some extent. Often the only way to get a really invisible patch is to paint out a whole section corner to corner or some obscure cut-off point.

It might bug you, but most of your visitors will never notice.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.