We just bought our 1920's vintage house last year and recently had two chimney inspectors check out our inside-the-house brick chimney for safety issues. This brick chimney has pipes/flues for a working fireplace on the main floor and for an oil furnace and a gas heat boiler in the basement. Both inspectors recommend relining the pipes/flues from the basement chimney with stainless steel chimney lining system with stainless raincap and T-connector. Job would include jackhammer base to house t-connection. Estimate cost over $2000.00 for the 35-foot job. Both inspectors (competitors of course) say this is necessary because the chimney never should have had the furnace and boiler smoke thru it because the original clay pipe liner for the boiler and the furnace are old and damaged. They say there is a serious danger of carbon monoxide leakage into house and that the clay pipe liner is over 90% corroded. Are these guys just scaring us or do we have an emergency need for repair this winter?