4 posts / 0 new
Last post
raising a sunken living room

We have a sunken living room in our house that I would like to fill it in and make the same level as the rest of our house (my wife has MS so it would make it easier on her). The change in elevation is about six inches (one step down). I have two choices either put in joists with a ply deck or fill it with concrete. I'd like to get some opinions on what the best way might be.



Drew at Sawhorse
Re: raising a sunken living room

Filling in 6 inches of concrete would be expensive and could potentially be very messy. My easy vote is to put in PT floor joists and use Advantech flooring. Then cover again with carpet (I assume carpet).

Re: raising a sunken living room

I agree with drew, wood joists and subfloor.

Re: raising a sunken living room

Thanks Drew and cjsand I think that's the way I'll go! I'll rip the PT joist to the correct width apply some const. adhesive to the bottom edge that sits on the concrete,put rim joists all the way around with hangers and then screw the sub floor on top edge,most likely 16" on center. Thanks again for your input!


Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.