Home>Discussions>BATHROOMS>Question re: drain pipe
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question re: drain pipe

The "quick" install of a new sink and vanity is done. Except the drain pipe won't line up. No biggie I thought. After attempting to get the pipe that goes into the wall out and having no luck, I opened up the wall around the pipe to find that it looks like the pipe was soldered in. Is this common in a house from the mid 1950s?

What would be best, cut the pipe and hope the make something that has a compression sleeve, similar to the down pipe right off of the sink. Or should I risk burning down the house:rolleyes: with a torch and remove the pipe that way.

I had intended on using a plastic pipe to replace this. In the past when I have done this type of work, I'd just stick the pipe in and be done. Should I use plumbers putty or something to insure a seal, or am I fine with an inch or two in the cast iron pipe?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Question re: drain pipe

Fernco coupling can be used to connect the plastic to the ?copper? you already have.

Re: Question re: drain pipe

You'll run across this a lot here in Chicago. They make a "repair trap" for this. It's basically just a P-trap with a slip-nut fitting on the end that connects to your old pipe. You probably won't find it in a Home Center, but any reputable plumbing supply house should carry it.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.