I'm not new to sweating copper tubing and using a propane torch. The other day I noticed a joint leaking in my basement and thought I'd replace the fitting. A job that wouldn't take more than an hour or two I thought.
After getting materials & tools, I went to light the torch and as I scr-aped the striker in front of it, a flame started & instantly a fireball appeared. I dropped the torch out of reflex & it rolled next to a box of old clothes.
A flame was pouring out of the side of the torch & I realized either had to get it out of here or my house was going to burn down. As I grabbed the torch and made my way out of the basement I was able to keep the flame behind me mostly as I ran. I got upstairs, opened a sliding glass door and heaved it into the back yard. Then I ran back to the basement to see if anything caught fire. Luckily nothing had except for a singed ballet tutu.
I went back outside & thought of trying to put it out, but decided I didn't want to get near it & just let it burn.
I had the hair burned off my hand & some of my arm and a not too bad burn on my index finger. All a small price to pay for still having a house. The torch burned in the back yard for 45 minutes. I think the valve failed and that's where the gas was coming from.
The plumbing repair was a fiasco for other reasons and I finally was able to turn the water on the next day.