48 posts / 0 new
Last post
A. Spruce
Re: Preferred height of chair rail

If the scab cuts are decided upon, what would look better than butting them against the door trim would be to rabbet the back of the door trim and slip the tile underneath it, followed by a clean caulk line. This will make for a seamless transition between the tile and door trim, as opposed to a large grout line and cut/jagged edges on the tile.

Just a thought. :)

bp21901
Re: Preferred height of chair rail

Caulk at the door trim, counter & any place there is a vertical joint against the cabinets - grout everywhere else.

I have some cove that will go under the cabinet to cover the irregular joint with the tile there.

I like the trim tile at the door myself, but I am not on the decorating committee and I think members of the construction committee only get a half vote!! :rolleyes: The only thing I don't like about the trim tile is that the color is a little off from the field tile.

Still have to decide what to use to fill the space under the window sill. Maybe a decorative wood spacer.

bp21901
Re: Preferred height of chair rail
A. Spruce wrote:

If the scab cuts are decided upon, what would look better than butting them against the door trim would be to rabbet the back of the door trim and slip the tile underneath it, followed by a clean caulk line. This will make for a seamless transition between the tile and door trim, as opposed to a large grout line and cut/jagged edges on the tile.

Just a thought. :)

I bet I would need to buy a Fein MM to cut the rabbet with the trim in place!!!!! I'm beginning to like that design! :D

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Preferred height of chair rail
bp21901 wrote:

I bet I would need to buy a Fein MM to cut the rabbet with the trim in place!!!!! I'm beginning to like that design! :D

Ooooh, get a new tool, sounds like a perfect solution.:D
Jack

A. Spruce
Re: Preferred height of chair rail
bp21901 wrote:

I bet I would need to buy a Fein MM to cut the rabbet with the trim in place!!!!! I'm beginning to like that design! :D

Well of course! There's no other humanly possible way to accomplish this task without a new toy ... er, uh ... TOOL! Did you also know that it's impossible to do any type of mortar work without a new DeWalt 18v. cordless saw/drill combo? You have to have SOMETHING to mix up the grout with, and because the budget doesn't allow the purchase of new tools, the saw will come in handy when you have to make your own mixing paddle, hod, and muck bucket. :D:D

bp21901
Re: Preferred height of chair rail

Too late on the cordless idea. I picked up a new battery for the DW cordless when I was mixing mud during the drywall phase. Swiped a couple old beaters from the kitchen utensil drawer for good measure too! They work well mixing the hot mud in the pan.

A. Spruce
Re: Preferred height of chair rail
bp21901 wrote:

Too late on the cordless idea.

Damn it BP, ya gots to work with us here! :p;):D

bp21901
Re: Preferred height of chair rail

DANG, missed a chance for a new tooyl. How dumb am I?? :mad:

I feel like I'm back on the short bus going to school and all the kids are talking about me. :o

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Preferred height of chair rail

We are all very disappointed in you BP, and your total disregard for proper traditions, plus it makes the rest of us look bad .:mad: :D
Jack

A. Spruce
Re: Preferred height of chair rail
bp21901 wrote:

I feel like I'm back on the short bus going to school and all the kids are talking about me. :o

There's no reason to feel that way at all!

psha woosha whisper whisper BP21901 psha woosha whisper whisper BP21901 psha woosha whisper whisper BP21901 psha woosha whisper whisper BP21901 :D:D:D:D

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.