As some of you may know, I am visiting China at the moment. And as my interests always have to do with construction, I notice a lot of things that are different.
I am staying in an apartment which is less than 10 years old, new and modern. New apartments are delivered to the buyers in an unfinished conedition, and the buyers finish the way they like it, from floors to ceilings.
If you are interested to know, here are some of my obserervations about residential plumbing. Now, the plumbing in this apartment may not be the norm in the entire country, but could be a sample of how it's done today.
1. Pipes are in the walls, they use copper and pex. Wall stubs have angle stops with 1/4 turn, supply lines are similar to ours.
2. Drains: here is a mystery: I can't see traps under the sinks. The water drains into a larger diameter drain pvc pipe, that vanishes into the concrete floor. There is no real connection - something like a washer's connection into the drain in the USA.
3. Faucets are similar to ours.
4. Showers - marble tiles on walls and floor.
5. Toilets - Toto style, with 2 flushes (short and long).
6. All sizes are in metric.
That's it for now. If you like to read more, let me know, and I'll post more observations in plumbing and other trades.