Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Molding & Carpentry>Please Help! Need advice hanging drywall over tongue and groove shiplap 1920s House
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tito
Please Help! Need advice hanging drywall over tongue and groove shiplap 1920s House
Tito

Thanks in advance! Appreciate any advice on hanging drywall over tongue in groove shiplap in my 1920s home. Main problem is drywall is popping at joints, also cracking over openings.

What drywall thickness is best? Is thicker or thinner better? Also, wouldn type of tape make a difference - paper vs mesh?

Considerations

-Pier & beam foundation with lots of movement despite recent professional leveling. This is thanks to Dallas Texas heavy clay based soil.

-Will need to be installed over tongue and groove shiplap. It’s pretty flush in most spaces, but there are a few board that stick out a little.

-Room is being mostly (except for shiplap) gutted so trim and casing not an issue.

-I love the sturdiness of 5/8 but don’t know if that’s the best option. Would it be too rigid leading to cracks with movement or slightly uneven shiplap underneath?

A million thanks!

HandyAndyInMtAiry
Re: Please Help! Need advice hanging drywall over tongue and...
HandyAndyInMtAiry

You are not gutting everything 100% if you are, the wood would be removed from the studs. Sheetrock does not move. Where did you ever get that idea? And it sounds like you have already hung the sheetrock over the wood. Wood moves, all the time. You need to remove all the wood down to the studs. Then true up the verticals with furring strips. Then you may hang the sheetrock. At this point you may use what ever sheetrock is needed for this particular job. I like sicky back mesh tape over paper. I do not like lifting a bnajo tape device over my head for long periods of time. I have hung sheetrock only in other peoples homes and structures. Our house is all plaster. That I will never replace.

Andrew

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC

Tito
Re: Please Help! Need advice hanging drywall over tongue and...
Tito

Thanks Handy Andy! This is my first home improvement project, I have no prior experience and a smalll budget. 

So you don’t recommend I install the drywall over the shiplap boards? That’s how it was previously done at this house (about 30-50 years ago I estimate).

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.