Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Molding & Carpentry>Plaster versus Drywall in a 1868 Home
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
CatBad
Plaster versus Drywall in a 1868 Home
CatBad

The supply line to my upstairs toilet burst (as did my heart…) and flooded my 1868 row house. The water mitigation crew was brutal; they ripped out the dining room ceiling and plaster walls down to the wood lath. Pretty sure mold will never be an issue. They were super diligent, as they should be. I am now in the midst of obtaining estimates from various GC’s so my world can be pieced back together. My question is – should I replace the walls with plaster, drywall or drywall with a veneer of plaster over the top to mimic the one wall left intact. Some of the wood lath will need to be replaced as well if I go the plaster route. Guess I should start collecting wooden paint stirrers. BTW – none of the walls that need replacing are exterior walls so adding insulation isn’t a huge deal. Thanks in advance for opinions/suggestions!

A. Spruce
Re: Plaster versus Drywall in a 1868 Home
A. Spruce

Ease, speed, and least expense, drywall will be the way to go. If you are trying to maintain historical value, then period correct plaster is the way to go.

You may want to start out with consulting both a drywall/general contractor and a plaster/GC to give you an idea of the pricing for each, then get three bids for the direction you wish to take. The reason to go with a GC over a specific tradesman is so that the job is completed from bare stud to finished wall surface, most trade specific people do not do anything but their own trade, which mean no paint, wall paper, floor coverings, etc.

While your walls are open, if you need more electrical or plumbing run, now is the time to do it. Even simply upgrading what is accessible is a good idea.

Clarence
Clarence

Also check the value of the home if drywall is used does it increase or decrease ?
Then check the same if plaster is used.
Also can you get tax credits is plaster is replaced ?

keith3267
keith3267

+1 to A. Spruce, especially about the electrical. If you have old knob and tube wiring, definitely upgrade to romex where ever you can. This will be money well spent and if you inform your insurance agent of the upgrade, especially if it is 100% replaced to modern codes, it could save you a lot on your insurance.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.