2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Plaster Repair Primer Choice

I am doing some minor wall repairs on my 1867 New Orleans house.
I removed the wallpaper from the plaster walls in the dining room and some small areas of the white plaster topcoat delaminated from the base coat. I plan on skim coating (w/ setting compound) over these delaminated areas and also over some other roughly textured areas of the plaster topcoat. I have extensively scrubbed the walls w/ TSP to remove any and all wallpaper glue, but would also like to first apply a primer w/ good sealing and adhesive qualities to the wall before skim coating in order to start w/ a nice sealed surface that will also assist the setting compound in adhearing.
Talking to a few of the manufacturers, I have it somewhat narrowed down to Behr No. 75 Enamel Undercoater (oil based) and the Glidden Gripper (water based) and I am leaning towards the Behr.
Would any of you have any other preferences or input.
Thanks so much,
The knowledge that you all provide on this forum is priceless.

Re: Plaster Repair Primer Choice

For your primer check for a product called Peel Stop.
If you find it you can prime with it.
Than use a product called Master of Plaster.
You will apply two base coats and one finish coat this will leave your walls smooth.
Total thickness of all coats will not exceed 3/32 inch and is very user friendly use straight from the pail unused will keep indefinitly.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.