Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Photo electric switch with CFL
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Photo electric switch with CFL

I have been using CFL's with a motion sensor switch for some time.
Yesterday the bulb needed replacing and I replaced it with another CFL, same wattage, but the light flickered when it should have been off. I put another one in and the same thing occurred. What do think the problem is?

Re: Photo electric switch with CFL

For motion detector lights and also for dusk to dawn lights, better use old fashion incandescent bulbs.

Re: Photo electric switch with CFL

Perhaps the sensor went out in the fixture, not the CFL.

You may want to try an incandescent like Dj suggested for no other reason than to test the fixture.

Or, try the CFL's that you think are bad in another fixture.

Dusk-Dawn lights can be a little tricky, if aimed at each other or another light source, all kinds of unexpected things happen.

Also, the sensors work best on heavy loads, not CFL's. Quality control on both the CFL's and the photo cells are not great, you may be on the edge of good performance.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Re: Photo electric switch with CFL

If the sensor has a neutral (white) wire, the CFL should work fine. Many sensors do not have a neutral wire, and depend on the resistance of an incandescent bulb to provide a return path for the electricity that powers them -- CFLs don't provide the proper resistance so they fail to work.

If you choose to replace the sensor (and the electrical box has a neutral wire available), be sure to replace it with a sensor that has a neutral wire.

Re: Photo electric switch with CFL

Just a guess but I would say you have a solid state motion device. These are a problem controlling other solid state devices like CFL's due to leakage. You most likely were just lucky with the first lamp. Either get a mechanical switch type controller or use incandescent bulbs.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.