I need advice on how to fix this. One of our bedrooms has peeling layers of paint from walnut tree sap seeping onto the chimney for years. The tree is gone now but the paint comes off in little chunks everyday. At first I thought it was the plaster coming off but the more I look at it, I think it's just paint. But underneath is covered with the tree sap. Also, when I look at the seam of the chimney, I can see light! How should I fix this?
I was thinking of either putting sheetrock over it or wainscoating. I would put it over because I don't know if there is lathe between the plaster and chimney-I don't see any. If I did either of those, should I sc**** what I can? I don't think it is lead in the paint because I've checked other rooms on the floor. Or would it be possible to just repaint?
The pictures I tried to add don't work so here are links.