4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amy
Peach Tree Help

Hi guys. We have a peach tree that we planted 3 years ago and I am happy to say that we do have peaches this year. (It had peaches the year we planted it too) But I have a few questions about taking care of the tree.

First, how do I "thin" out the peaches in a way to ensure the branches don't break, and I get nice plump peaches. This tree isn't very tall yet 8-10 feet at the most. It's just loaded down with peaches about the size of a golf ball and all the limbs are bending under the weight. I'm almost afraid they will break off.

I also want to know of any tips and tricks to keep squirrels at bay. We had peaches on it a couple of years ago and the rodents got every last peach by taking 2 or 3 bites and leaving it to rot, or throwing it to the ground :mad: What works to keep them out of your trees?

A. Spruce
Re: Peach Tree Help
Capellam44 wrote:

First, how do I "thin" out the peaches in a way to ensure the branches don't break, and I get nice plump peaches. This tree isn't very tall yet 8-10 feet at the most. It's just loaded down with peaches about the size of a golf ball and all the limbs are bending under the weight. I'm almost afraid they will break off.

That tree is too small to support much, so I'd thin it back to a few per branch. If you let it get overloaded now, you'll permanently stunt and bend the tree.

Capellam44 wrote:

I also want to know of any tips and tricks to keep squirrels at bay.

A shotgun comes to mind or you could poison them. Short of that, trap them and dump them somewhere else.

Amy
Re: Peach Tree Help
A. Spruce wrote:

That tree is too small to support much, so I'd thin it back to a few per branch. If you let it get overloaded now, you'll permanently stunt and bend the tree.

Got the thinning done today. Hate to throw away so many peaches, but don't want to hurt the tree either.

A shotgun comes to mind or you could poison them. Short of that, trap them and dump them somewhere else.

hehe yeah I keep a pellet gun near by for the times that I am actually watching.

Timothy Miller
Re: Peach Tree Help

Hi i would use the apple tree thining to remove all peaches but one every 3" for best fruit. more intil the limbs mature.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.