2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paper product..........

Recently I saw a pressed paper product that is about 1/2" thick and is cut with a table saw and is generally worked like a piece of plywood.

I was unable to ascertain what it was and wondered if anyone here knows what it is called?


Re: Paper product..........

It was probably MDF...Medium Density Fiberboard. MDF is usually medium to dark brown in color, and is quite heavy. It machines well with ordinary woodworking tools such as table saws & routers. It is also very stable & isn't as prone to expansion & contraction as solid wood. It's main disadvantages are it's weight and the very fine sawdust generated when working with it. It is available in several thicknesses, with the most common sizes being 1/2" & 3/4". A lightweight version is also available.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.