Home>Discussions>PAINTING & FINISHING>Paint Roller Runs and Overspray
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paint Roller Runs and Overspray

I bought a new house (spring 2007).

1) The contractor's painter spray primed the inside. There is spray paint in many places it shouldn't be, like on the finished BellaWood 3/4" by 3" cherry floors. The contractor used denatured alchohol in some areas - that de-glossed the factory-applied finish. I have tried many things, even Krud Kutter, to remove the paint. What is safe that will work?

2) The contractor created numerous 10" - 12" runs of latex wall paint from an overloaded roller. I've tried a razor blade scraper, a putty knife and various types of sandpaper - even 3M Drywall Sanding Screens. The sanding process heats the paint and makes it gummy. I'm ready to scream. The paint on the trim looks just as bad. How can I remove these nearly 2-year-old, hardened runs?

Re: Paint Roller Runs and Overspray

When removing old latex paint, al;ways try the least harsh treatment first. I would first try using terry cloth which has been moistened with hot water and rub the flecks vigorously. More aggressive would be to take a terry cloth towel and moisten it with hot water and lay it on the spots for a minute, then try rubbing the spots again. Latex paints tend to loosen in the presence of heat and humidity. Do not wet the wood floor however, just moisten it. I would always start in an inconspicuous corner just in case some damage is done.

If the water does not work, try Goof-Off. Again try this product in an out of the way corner. Goof-Off does not normally damage oil based varnishes or paints, but rapidly removes latex paint.

As to the runs on the walls, I think your best recourse is to trowel on a thin coat of drywall mud to feather in the dried paint ridges to the surrounding areas. Sand with a sanding block and then spot prime the patches, prime the wall and then finish coat the whole section of wall.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.