11 posts / 0 new
Last post
rawcoolbeans101...
Outside water faucet

I have a outside water faucet and it takes channel locks to shut it down. I am a first time home buyer and would like to know do I need to replace it or can I fix it somehow.Because I'm worried next time I try to use then shut down its not gonna shut down. Also will this information be emailes or come back to your site. Thanks for your respone.

dj1
Re: Outside water faucet

Replace the hose bib, and have some peace of mind.

A. Spruce
Re: Outside water faucet

Ditto what DJ said, and you need to return to the forum to read the responses. you can set your profile for email notification of responses, but you'll need to return to see them.

If you are at all handy, replacing a hose bib is an easy-peasy thing to do. Turn off the water main, unscrew old bib, apply 15 to 20 wraps of teflon tape to threads, apply a dab of pipe thread dope around the entire threaded area, and install new bib. Tighten bib by hand, then give 1 to 2 full turns with a wrench. Turn on the main and test your work. If no leaks, you're done and good to go. If there is a leak, tighten the bib 1 turn more with the wrench (no need to turn off main for this ). Repeat as necessary until no leak. Wipe off any excess pipe dope when you're finished.

johnjh2o
Re: Outside water faucet
A. Spruce wrote:

Ditto what DJ said, and you need to return to the forum to read the responses. you can set your profile for email notification of responses, but you'll need to return to see them.

If you are at all handy, replacing a hose bib is an easy-peasy thing to do. Turn off the water main, unscrew old bib, apply 15 to 20 wraps of teflon tape to threads, apply a dab of pipe thread dope around the entire threaded area, and install new bib. Tighten bib by hand, then give 1 to 2 full turns with a wrench. Turn on the main and test your work. If no leaks, you're done and good to go. If there is a leak, tighten the bib 1 turn more with the wrench (no need to turn off main for this ). Repeat as necessary until no leak. Wipe off any excess pipe dope when you're finished.

That will all work provide it's not soldered on. I have seen many homeowners twist the copper off thinking the faucet was threaded on.

John

A. Spruce
Re: Outside water faucet

I have never seen an exterior faucet soldered on, but I guess stranger things, right? And true, a little common sense does need to be employed when doing home repairs. :cool:

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Outside water faucet

You might try just replaceing the washer instead of the entire bib.

Jack

dj1
Re: Outside water faucet

Jack, the poster is using a wrench to shut the water - it must be a worn out stem or just a missing handle.
Don't you love it when we have to guess because of lack of information?

Spruce, most of the hose bibs that I've installed have been soldered on, to save space, time and money...but there are plenty of threaded ones out there.

I still say get a new hose bib.

A. Spruce
Re: Outside water faucet
dj1 wrote:

Spruce, most of the hose bibs that I've installed have been soldered on, to save space, time and money...

What strange and wondrous planet do you live on? ;):p:D

dj1
Re: Outside water faucet
A. Spruce wrote:

What strange and wondrous planet do you live on? ;):p:D

Planet solder: anything standing still for 10 seconds, gets soldered !

motoguy128
Re: Outside water faucet
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

You might try just replaceing the washer instead of the entire bib.

Jack

+1. I just replaced a washer in a original outdoor spigot last week. Actually I just took another washer and trimmed the OD down to "make it work" rather than dig throguh parts bins at the hardware store. IT works fine.

However, one thing to keep in mind. Newer hose bibs by code have vacuum breaks. ANYTIME you use a chemical applicant sprayer, purchase and use a vacuum breaker or backflow preventer. IF if the system lost water pressure it can reverse flow and contaminate the drinking water supply. This is VERY serious business. Few homeowners are aware of the danger. IT's more of a issue for large industries and commercial users, but people have gotten very ill.

At minimum always turn off and disconnect the chemical sprayer as soon as your finished.

Newer spigots by having a vacuum break also release water in the pipe to prevent freezing issues in cold climates.

dj1
Re: Outside water faucet

What Motoguy is saying is true.

You can attach a back-flow preventer to any hose bib. You can get one at the plumbing store or on line. In some cities it's now the code for new construction.

But that won't solve your problem of needing to use a wrench to shut the water.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.