9 posts / 0 new
Last post
picsaro
Outlet Issue

I have 2 outlets that are along the same wall, about 30 feet apart. In one outlet I have plugged in a Carbon Monoxide Detector. In the other is a lamp and the charger for my laptop, which i frequently connect and disconnect. Sometimes when I plug in the charger, there is a small spark and the other outlet seems to turn off and then turn on very quickly (I can tell by the carbon monoxide detector beeping when it resets itself).

I ve looked at both outlets, and everything looks normal. Are they somehow connected to each other? And why would this happen in the first place? I'm getting worried.

thanks

Timothy Miller
Re: Outlet Issue

Howdy, consider turning off the circuit breaker an then removing the first outlet and checking to see if the wires are fastened tightly if back push in mounting slight tug the wires should be tight or replace the receptacle- then do same to the other outlet.

canuk
Re: Outlet Issue
picsaro wrote:

I have 2 outlets that are along the same wall, about 30 feet apart. In one outlet I have plugged in a Carbon Monoxide Detector. In the other is a lamp and the charger for my laptop, which i frequently connect and disconnect. Sometimes when I plug in the charger, there is a small spark and the other outlet seems to turn off and then turn on very quickly (I can tell by the carbon monoxide detector beeping when it resets itself).

I ve looked at both outlets, and everything looks normal. Are they somehow connected to each other? And why would this happen in the first place? I'm getting worried.

thanks

Receptacles will deteriorate , especially cheap ones , when they constantly have things plugged and unplugged. Basically the internal contacts bend and don't spring back into position ---- usually you can tell when things plugged in are loose.
When the contacts deteriorate they will arc and the only thing to do is replace the receptacle.

The other thing it might be is the wire connections are loose on the receptacle ---- or might be back stabbed instead odf on the screw connections. This might explain why the other receptacle is cutting out.

However the other receptacle may not be cutting out but rather experiencing a surge from the arcing of the problem recetacle.

Ernie_Fergler
Re: Outlet Issue
canuk wrote:

Receptacles will deteriorate , especially cheap ones , when they constantly have things plugged and unplugged. Basically the internal contacts bend and don't spring back into position ---- usually you can tell when things plugged in are loose.
When the contacts deteriorate they will arc and the only thing to do is replace the receptacle.

The other thing it might be is the wire connections are loose on the receptacle ---- or might be back stabbed instead odf on the screw connections. This might explain why the other receptacle is cutting out.

However the other receptacle may not be cutting out but rather experiencing a surge from the arcing of the problem recetacle.

Back stabbed outlets & switches, the bane of homeowners & electricians everywhere....
Who thought the development of that, I wonder.:confused:

Re: Outlet Issue

Replace the outlet.

NEC
Re: Outlet Issue
ohmy wrote:

Replace the outlet.

Ohmy is our latest spammer............ Ohmy I do not like canned meat products,,,,,,,,,,,,,

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Outlet Issue

I don't believe the outlet is the issue. You will generally get a spark whenever you plug a live load in unless you insert the plug very fast and solidly. You generally make multiple contacts when inserting the plug of a live load which crates a very high resistance connection which can draw many times the current the load uses. It can act almost like a momentary short circuit.
Jack

Re: Outlet Issue
NEC wrote:

Ohmy is our latest spammer............ Ohmy I do not like canned meat products,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You have better advice for a burning outlet? You think maybe he should repair it?

Re: Outlet Issue

you dont like spammers?

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.