3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Outlet change

Hello, how do I convert a standard wall outlet to an outlet controlled by a wall switch? The outlet is in my attic and I have access to run the new switch into the house where I want it. I assume I have to change something in the outlet, but what??? What is my new wiring going to be?

Re: Outlet change

All that's really needed to install the switch in series with the hot ( black or red ) to the receptacle.
If you have acces to the cable supplying the receptacle cut the cable ---- install the box --- splice the whites and grounds together --- attach the blacks to the switch top and bottom screw connectors.


Use 14/2 or 12/2 ( whichever is currently being used at the receptacle )
The existing hot at the receptacle would be removed ---- spliced to the white (marked with black tape ) of the new cable ----- run to the bottom screw connector on the switch --- the black wire of the new cable attched to the top screw of the switch ---the other end attched to the receptacle.

Make sure all splices are within the junction boxes.

You have a switched receptacle :)

Re: Outlet change

Thanks a ton.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.