Home>Discussions>TV>Ask This Old House>Our New old home built in 1776
1 post / 0 new
Mike Steel
Our New old home built in 1776

Hello all, I would like to start of buy saying I have been watching TOH since I was a child and have done quite a bit of repairs and refinishing thanks to the tips and instructions over my life. Now on to the new project!

My wife and I just purchased a home in New City NY that was built in 1776, it is a stone home with 3 bedrooms one bathroom a living room , a oversized 5ft by 5ft stone fireplace and it sits on 3/4 of an acre of land. The entire inside of the home as far as ceilings , walls and floors need to be done as well as many other things but the home is liveable and just needs some TLC.

I am very experienced in skim coating, plastering, mudding whatever you would like to call it my father did not believe in sheetrock so all the time I spent plastering is going to pay off. The home is very original and even has the original doors with original hardware, My question to the show is I know that the work I will be doing to restore the home will be just fine and dandy but I would love to see the things that I want done to the home finished and I know I can not do it on my own. Would TOH be interested in helping along or using the home in any of the upcoming projects?

The things I would love to have done and know I can not do on my own would be the original stone wall exposed inside of the living room, the original floors refinished(the top stair is worn in a curve from 220 years of walking up and down) There was a Barn and a studio on the survey that are no longer there and I would love to have them built to original spec the garage was actually a barn. We have an old well on the property that could use a face lift. Many Many things that are just out of our reach. Everything we are doing is coming out of our pocket and we are not looking for a handout at all. I just love the show and know that TOH could really make This old house into the 1776 beauty that it should be. I will be posting pictures of my progress as it happens. Thank you and any advice or tips would be great. Love the show!

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.