Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>Old tub drain replacement
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Old tub drain replacement

Old tub drain replacement

I have an old tub (1950's I think) with a drain that I would like to replace. The manufacturer was American Standard I think and currently there is no grate or covering to prevent hair and other objects from going down the drain. I'm not sure how to remove the old drain. I have been to home depot to look for replacemnts, but I didn't see any designs that are the same as what I have. It doesn't appear that there any screws holding it in, but there are two square metal notches sticking out just a little on the sides of the metal drain as it goes down into the tub. It might be threaded, but I can't tell and am wondring if these two small square notches fits some tool that allows the drain to be turned. I can E-mail pictures if that helps.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Old tub drain replacement

If there is no retaining nut on the bottom, you will need a tub drain wrench to unscrew it. I think even Homedepot carries them.

Re: Old tub drain replacement

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the response. So you believe it is threaded and can be unscrewed?


Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.