Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>Oil boiler slow death - what is best replacement - if we are tired of oil?
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
pdev
Oil boiler slow death - what is best replacement - if we are tired of oil?
pdev

We will need to replace the oil boiler for a hydronic baseboard. Throwing around ideas of geo-thermal, propane boiler, and high efficiency heat pumps. Would like to include A/C if we can, using the high velocity type of system for the air. Comments on the different systems, and what would you put in a 200 year old house, brick, no natural gas available. Tired of the oil fill-ups, and exhaust (direct vent) smell, and just the dirtiness of oil itself. Like the hydronic baseboard for the heat portion, so would like to use that if we can get the water moving (different post on that).

Thanks for any ideas = pro and con, as well as manufacturers and what installation should cost.

dodsworth
Re: Oil boiler slow death - what is best replacement - if we are tired of oil?
dodsworth

pdev: sounds from your previous post that you are still having troubles with your present boiler---have you been able to make any headway with the repair, & get a repair person in there to address the problem??

What is your general location?? do you have wintertime 0-degree weather (or lower) in your area, or do you live in a slightly milder winter climate???
1) you have to find a qualified installer for your new boiler (propane seems to be the best deal in this case) in your area that will
do the job at a reasonable price--call family & friends initially to see if they have had this work done recently; go to item 2 if
you have no luck; also consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Contractors" Boilers, hot water.

2) Google "Best domestic boiler installer in (your city/state)".---this often works well & may give you a list of boiler
installers you can call.

3) Consult Angie's List (they have a membership charge) thru a friend or relative that may already belong.

I would think that since you don't have gas service, you would best be happiest with propane---check out the Yellow Pages for Propane delivery dealers in your area for the best price for a tank & periodic delivery.

For AC in the summer, I would recommend a Thru-the Wall AC with home delivery via Amazon.com (free delivery) or other provider after you calculate the BTU you need for your apt. or house, especially the main (1st floor) living area---any upstairs bedrooms can be blocked off with doors & a separate thru-the wall or window AC can be placed in those locations (Google "calculate cooling BTU/hr needed for (size of your 1st floor area) sq.ft.")

For best boiler brands, I would recommend, among others, Triangle Tube, Slant/Fin, Buderus, Burnham, Columbia, Dunkirk, Energy Kinetics, New Yorker, Peerless, Smith, Utica, Weil-McLain, Crown, Hydrotherm. NTI Odyssey, Biasi.

Some of the German/European imported boilers (Viessmann, Bosch, Buderus, Triangle Tube, Biasi) though very good, efficient boilers, tend to be more expensive because they are imports; domestic brands like Crown, Slant/Fin, Peerless, New Yorker, Dunkirk, Utica cost less but are still excellent.

In reality, local boiler installers in your area will only carry a select few of the above list of top brands; boilers are sold according to the fuel they burn and the AFUE efficiency rating they have (how much heat produced by the least amount of fuel burned)---your new boiler should have an AFUE efficiency in the 90% range, or at least in the high 80% range---this will give you a boiler that produces the heat you need on the coldest days for the least amount of $$$ on your monthly fuel bill for the amount of propane you burn.

Google "Boilers Qualified Product List 2016" to get a list of available boilers; the energy star list below lists a lot of good boilers, but you will have to Google them individually by name & model # to get their current going price---your installer should charge you a ballpark figure that jibes with the stated internet price---the 95% efficiency rating on most of these boilers indicates that 95% of the propane fuel burned is used to heat the home---the other 5% is vented out the chimney---this is an excellent ratio; most older boilers burn propane/gas so that 70% (or even less) heats the home & 30% (or more) goes up the chimney as wasted heat; I would also recommend as part of the installation deal that you install an INDIRECT HOT WATER HEATER---this is a 40-gallon tank ($1,000 approx) that sits beside the boiler as a separate zone & provides all the domestic hot water (DHW) needed for clothes washing, dishes, bathing, etc.---these units last for decades & you'll never run out of domestic hot water for bathing & washing.

Also Google: "energy star certified boilers"

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=most_efficient.me_boilers

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.