20 posts / 0 new
Last post
keepdreaming_21
No Ground On My House

MY GROUND FOR MY HOUSE I BELIEVE IS ON THE WATER MAIN, SO IF MY HOUSE WERE TO GET STRUCK BY LIGHTENING AND I WAS ON THE PHONE I WOULD BE DEAD:eek:. SO MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I PUT A GROUND ON MY OLD HOUSE? :confused:

kentvw
Re: No Ground On My House

Call an electrical contractor.

Ernie_Fergler
Re: No Ground On My House
keepdreaming_21 wrote:

MY GROUND FOR MY HOUSE I BELIEVE IS ON THE WATER MAIN, SO IF MY HOUSE WERE TO GET STRUCK BY LIGHTENING AND I WAS ON THE PHONE I WOULD BE DEAD:eek:. SO MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I PUT A GROUND ON MY OLD HOUSE? :confused:

You might be dead on the phone or you might be dead on the John....

JEWEATHER
Re: No Ground On My House

You will need to have a grounding rod installed. There are so many stipulations on where, how deep, how many you need, etc, that calling in an electrician to evaluate what you have is likely the best thing to do. It is fairly common for the electrical system to be grounded to the cold water pipe, but this is usually only secondary to the ground rod.

Ernie_Fergler
Re: No Ground On My House
JEWEATHER wrote:

You will need to have a grounding rod installed. There are so many stipulations on where, how deep, how many you need, etc, that calling in an electrician to evaluate what you have is likely the best thing to do. It is fairly common for the electrical system to be grounded to the cold water pipe, but this is usually only secondary to the ground rod.

I agree that there are stipulations. But your local code officer should be able to provide them. And if you feel you can work inside a panel box, it is something a homeowner could tackle....

JLMCDANIEL
Re: No Ground On My House

Just as a point of interest, having your home grounded or not doesn't effect the phone. The phone system is independent or the electrical system with the possible exception of a power supply for a wireless phone or fax. If you get your house properly grounded you could still get killed using a phone during an electrical storm.

Jack

canuk
Re: No Ground On My House

It seems that's an advantage of the cordless phone. ;)

Curious .... what's the stats. on people being electrocuted using the land line phones?

Ernie_Fergler
Re: No Ground On My House

Round here the local cable company grounds their demarcation boxes with a strap to the meter base. I always thought that was odd.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: No Ground On My House
canuk wrote:

It seems that's an advantage of the cordless phone. ;)

Curious .... what's the stats. on people being electrocuted using the land line phones?

I don't know, but I have seen a lot of computers blown up that had dial-up modems. It's probably about as many as get electricuted taking a shower during a storm.
Jack

djohns
Re: No Ground On My House
Ernie_Fergler wrote:

Round here the local cable company grounds their demarcation boxes with a strap to the meter base. I always thought that was odd.

I have seen some surge protection units in the phone Demarc boxes . That's probably what the ground is for .

Ernie_Fergler
Re: No Ground On My House
djohns wrote:

I have seen some surge protection units in the phone Demarc boxes . That's probably what the ground is for .

Would make sense then.:)

Pages

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.