Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Living Areas & Workspaces>Need help with terminology and some ?s
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need help with terminology and some ?s

My house was built in 1920 and has a basement with a "shelf wall?" that starts in the middle of the south wall and goes east all the way around to the middle of the north wall (half of the basement). It's a 3 foot by 3 foot ledge or shelf on the floor against the wall. Is this called a "shelf wall" or "ledge wall" or am I even close?

When I was house hunting, I came across several different variances of this type of basement wall. I saw only one wall done, 2 adjacent walls done, all 4 walls and then like mine.

What was the reason for this type of construction in a basement? To me it seems like a total waste of valuable space. Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks in advance!


Re: Need help with terminology and some ?s

Nobody has any ideas on this?

Re: Need help with terminology and some ?s

It almost sounds to me like there was underpinning done to the foundation for repairs.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.