3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need Fireplace Brick Insulation

Help! I'm in the process of renovating my kitchen. On one wall there is a fireplace. The Building Code in my town says that there needs to be 2" to 4" of space between the brick wall and any combustible material, like kitchen cabinets. I don't have the room to do this. So my question is what kind of material can I put on the brick (the backside of the fireplace) so that I can attach the cabinets to the brick? It must be something that is well documented and the Building Inspector will approve. Help, "OB1, you are my only hope."

Re: Need Fireplace Brick Insulation

Ask the inspector if a sheet metal shield will be acceptable.

Re: Need Fireplace Brick Insulation

The inspector may allow for a rated duct wrap to be installed or mineral wool. Again you would need to ask.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.