Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Living Areas & Workspaces>Need any advice for old Victorian house
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
anmare
Need any advice for old Victorian house

My daughter and I recently moved into my parents' house to care for my mother, who since my father's death has apparently let the house go. This house was built in 1905 with maple beams that seem to be petrified, since it requires an impact wrench to affix drywall or paneling to the walls.
My first concern is a "mushroomy" smell in certain areas upstairs. My initial thought is mold, but I am now wondering if the smell might also be caused by stray cats (urine and feces) that have come in and out of the house over the years according to my mother through the space between the first and second floors into an attic/closet. I am hoping for advice on how to get rid of the source and smell, since my daughter seems to be having a reaction to it (asthma-like symptoms). I don't have the resources to hire a professional to come in, and would like any remedies that may have worked for other homeowners with this problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

MLB Construction
Re: Need any advice for old Victorian house

i've never heard of someone having asthma symptoms from a urine smell but i have heard ALOT of stories about people showing asthma like symptoms from mold. even if you're short on cash, i think your and your mother's health is important enough to have it tested for mold. there's hundreds of types of mold ranging from harmless to extremely harmful. GET IT PROFESSIONALLY TESTED PLEASE.

ShelleyDN
Re: Need any advice for old Victorian house

The above poster have a point. Inhaling molds may produce asthma or allergic reaction to those who are not immune to it. Find the source, preferably the area where it is wet and has oxygen circulating on the place. My home remedy would be to wash it with detergent mixed with apple cider vinegar and water. But it's better to have the house tested for molds that cannot be discovered somewhere.

MLB Construction
Re: Need any advice for old Victorian house

if it's determined that you have mold, do not treat it yourself. have it professionally removed. after they do the removal they will test it again and again until there's no sign of it.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.