5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello, I know from following the post for some time some of you are very code savy (maurice), and i was wondering, what is the nec for se cable coming into a house and crossing a framing member. It is my belief if it crosses more than one, one has to install a feedthrough disconnect on the outside of the structure. Is this true or am i losing it? thanks

Re: Nec

Yes, Art 225.31 atates: a means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through the building or structure. It pertains to all types of wire or cable and if you're going to buy a disconnect you might consider a 200A main breaker 120/240 volt feed-thru outdoor panel which sells for about $110 at most Home Depots etc., if it's for a home.

Good Luch Edgeking,

Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Re: Nec

I never use SE or USE, as it is not allowed here on services; but it is a cable type that can be used on services or branch circuits. Your question isn't very clear, and I have never heard of the crossing a stud rule. All conductors in a residence need a disconnect & overcurrent protection at their source.

Around here a service disconnect is the main breaker in the panel, but if the panel is more than 3' from where the conductors enter the house, a disconnect must be installed and the service is called an" extended service". This is a AHJ (local officials) rule, as the distance is not specified in the NEC. The AHJ always has the final say over the NEC.

Re: Nec

Thank you semi retired and zzz. sorry if my question was vague. seems to me that years ago in apprenticeship school they talked about residential srtuctures needing a service dissconnect if the se cable crossed more than one framing member before it landed in the panel. i dont remember, i am pretty much industrial, commercial electrician. i do however want to thank you two again for your info, looks like i need to break out the code book and look up semi retireds code section. greg

Re: Nec

Edgeking, there is one jurisdiction near me that allowed/allows the service disconnect to be in the indoor service entrance panel if the wire from the meter only passes through one stud. It didn't matter if it was in rigid metal conduit, EMT, PVC or SE cable.

However, if the raceway is covered by 2" of concrete the under the building, it's considered "outside of the
building" and no restrictions apply.

So, you have a good memory.

Frankly, I don't understand why they allow unprotected wire from a service disconnect to enter a building at all. If it's damaged and a direct short occurs it's going to get uggly real quick!

Good luck from Columbiana, Alabama
Maurice Turgeon, thesemiretiredelectrician.com

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.