6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Name that tool.

Maybe you guys can help.

I have a pier and beam foundation that is too close to the ground. Occasionally it needs leveling. So far I have been able to dig between piers, use a hydraulic jack placed over a long 2x8, jack everything up, throw in some shims and call it a day.

Got myself into an area where there is precious room under the house, with soft ground. To make matters worse, the beam is nearly gone and was patched with some 2x8's bolted to the sides of the decent part of the beam. Of course these bolts are pivot points and the entire section has sunk. I am trying to avoid digging in the wet. soft area between the shaky piers. I know they make a Z shaped hunk O'metal where one end goes under and grabs the bottom of the beam, the side rises next to the beam, and the top rests atop the jack which is placed next to (as opposed to under) the beam. This allows you to jack up a beam with the jack net to the beam.

Anyone know what they are called? Let alone where to buy one or two ?

Re: Name that tool.

Offset ratchet jack was as close as I came but am not sure.

Might be able to squeeze in a floor jack typically used for cars, but the size is limiting.

Re: Name that tool.

You may want to look at Toe jacks and even the use of Lifting Bags & cribbing.

Re: Name that tool.

I think I know what you mean, athought I don't think I ever saw one. Seems like a metal shop could weld one up. I would include some slight returns on the ends so the jack and beam can't slip off and stiffeners/gusset on the jack side to limit the metal from flexing. That might be overkill if the metal is heavy enough.

Re: Name that tool.

In tight spaces I use a car 'scissors' jack- some of these collapse to only a couple inches tall ;) The strongest one I've found is the type supplied with the 1960's Mustangs; multiple arms give better leverage and it can be turned with a socket and extensions from a convenient location. Very nice for horizontal work since there's no hydraulic reservoir requiring a specific orientation. I finally broke mine trying to turn it with a 3' cheater bar using all my strength :( Time to hit a junkyard and scrounge another one! Only a guess but it seemed to compare equally with my 4 ton hydraulic jack in terms of lifting power.


Re: Name that tool.

I may have to go to a junk yard to find some of those old scissor jacks

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.