7 posts / 0 new
Last post
morganmasterman
is my fireplace safe to use?

We recently moved into our first home and the interior of our fireplace has been painted. I did the alcohol rub test and it appears to be oil-based paint - the paint didn't come off when rubbed with alcohol. Is it safe to burn a fire in a painted fireplace?

MLB Construction
Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

chances are that it is NOT ok to have a fire. the smartest thing to do, since you just move in there, is to have your fireplace and chimney inspected by a chimney expert.

this is something that your home inspector should have done prior to your purchasing the house.

dj1
Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

Actually you have a flammable condition, so don't even think about lighting the fireplace right now.

You'll end up removing the paint off.

Gizmo
Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

I take it the FP is a metal one?????

tooltrader
Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

NO+NO + NO +No =NO :eek:
I'm wondering if it was painted because it could not be used anymore .

milan2003
Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

No is not safe!

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.