Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Molding & Carpentry>My daughter's house if falling down!
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
My daughter's house if falling down!

My daughter's house is getting ready to fall down!


The entire front wall including the front door entrance and bay window is pulling outward away from the rest of the house at the ceiling.

The nails that hold the front wall to the ceiling joists have only about a quarter of an inch left to hold the wall to the house.

Every one who has looked at this (everyone meaning persons in the building trade), have not come up with any concrete solution and seem to 'shy' away from the job.

Please advise what kind of expertise one would need to tackle this entire problem. ie:, A structural engineer, carpenter, etc.

Re: My daughter's house if falling down!

A structural engineer is the most likely. the reason is that a carpenter wouldn't want to accept the liability if anything went wrong.

A. Spruce
Re: My daughter's house if falling down!

I would start with either a structural engineer or an engineering contractor. The engineer won't do the work, but can provide plans for the repairs that any subsequent contractor will then provide a bid for. An engineering contractor could do both the structural calculations and the repairs, though they're likely to be more expensive over all than hiring two separate individuals (engineer and contractor separately ). This sounds like an expensive repair that will likely start at the foundation and extend up to the roof line. Be prepared to shop the bid around, but don't let the low bid alone win your business. Do some research on the companies you like the best and chose from their reputation.

Re: My daughter's house if falling down!

.... besides a good contractor would consult with an engineer when it comes to major structural issues like this.

Re: My daughter's house if falling down!

Ditto on the engineer first(and quickly id there's so little holding it all together!), and if the home isn't that old also look into how long the builder has to stand behind the structural elements of it. Here in SC it's 5 years though cosmetic elements have only a one year requirement. I'm no expert in the legalities of this but I also understand that here in SC the structural timeframe isn't limited to the original buyer though the cosmetic one is. Structural lawsuits have been successfully brought against builders here as much as 13 years after completion. This will vary wildly according to where you are, and you'll probably have to sue to get repaid for the repairs but it's worth looking into considering the extent of the problem.

For a wall to push out as you described it can be any or all of several issues: Sagging foundation, improperly braced roof system, improper nailing, or in areas with frost heave a too-shallow foundation causing the ends to push inward. Whatever it is fix it ASAP or it may end up on the ground come the first good storm!


Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.