This is my first house, we bought it 1 1/2 years ago, and I've never repointed before. Last fall and through the winter I'd started to take note of the separations I could see, some above ground, and some peeking through the ground which tells me they're beneath the soil line. My plan of attack--again, having never done anything like this--is:
- Dig out enough of a working area per separation,
- Patch with a Quikrete caulk, or something similar,
- Let it set,
- Fill the soil back as it had been.
My questions are:
- Does that sound like a workable project idea? Again, I've never done anything like this before.
- Do I have to worry about weep holes? Once upon a time, the concrete blocks of the porch had been painted over, so I have doubts about there having been any of those.
- Am I missing anything?
- Must I remove remove mortar inbetween, or can I just patch over?
- What's been your experience?
- What should I do vs. avoid doing?
Thank you all, very much.