Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Living Areas & Workspaces>Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
husbus
Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

We inherited some pretty nice old wood furniture. Unfortunately, it sat in an unoccupied house for a while, and seems to have grown some mold on the unfinished parts inside. There was also some light-colored mold on the outside, but it wiped off of the finish. Below is a picture of the inside of a dresser, behind a drawer. I'm thinking that the best course of action is to replace the backside of the furniture and sand the bottom of the drawers where mold can be seen. I'm unsure how concerned I should be about this though... Is it ok to keep this furniture sitting in our house until we get around to fixing it (probably a few weeks), or can it spread to other places in the house or cause other problems? The furniture's new home does not have any current humidity/mold problems, as far as I know.

http://s93407983.onlinehome.us/slask/IMG_7874.JPG

Thank you!!

macky910
Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

This is pretty common until this year. I'm just wondering why the government hasn't done much anything about this yet.

Are their any similar laws made about molds?

keith3267
Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

If you sand, you will release mold spores into the air. The best thing would be to treat the wood with a sodium borate solution. Mix about a pound of powdered boric acid and a pound and a half of borax (20 mule team laundry type) in a gallon of very hot water. When it cools, pour it into a gallon size garden sprayer and spray away.

This will not only kill the mold, it will also kill any bugs in the wood and as long as it stays out of the rain or floods, it will remain in the wood to protect it from future mold and bugs.

William
Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

Your picture did not load so I couldn't see what you have, but are you sure it's mold and not mildew? To many people they are both similar looking. If it's black mold it should have an odor. Make sure you use a good respirator when cleaning it (not just a common dust mask). Bleach works good on the mold but I don't know how it will effect the wood. It might not hurt it but you should always do research ahead of time to be sure.

WINT142000
Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

The picture is probably long gone since it is from 2008. (that being said, I tried to look at it too!)

jackgault
Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?
WINT142000 wrote:

The picture is probably long gone since it is from 2008. (that being said, I tried to look at it too!)

this confused me too!

AlexisFard
Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

It would be great if the submitted link will load so members who wanted to help you can see the real problem. Hopefully, you can fix this one and concerning your problem, you can surely solve it!

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.