Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Living Areas & Workspaces>mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
9 posts / 0 new
Last post
toh409
mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
toh409

hello
i have some green/white mold growing on my basement beams and floor joists due to dampness and humidity issues which i will address separately.
that aside what will be the best way to remove this mold?
all the mold is on wood surfaces.
i have heard bleach or peroxide?
my intention is to spray either the bleach or peroxide and than vacuum.

hoping to do this as a DIY project so any advice will be appreciated.
thanks

 

Clarence
Re: mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
Clarence

See if you can locate some D/2 Biological Solution it will work great no ordor safe for indoor use and good for 5 years.

toh409
Re: mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
toh409

thanks

in the interem is bleach or peroxide ok?

Clarence
Re: mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
Clarence

Bleack is corrosive to some metals like nails.

Regina
Re: mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
Regina

Hello, toh409!
Yes, you can use bleach mixed with water to get rid of mold. Apply it to the surface, wipe off, but then don't rinse, and leave until it dry. It would be much better if you'll set out air purifier or a regular fan so your beams would dry faster. But please, don't forget that it's absolutely necessary to wear a respirator during the cleaning process, since both mold and bleach are quite dangerous for your health. 
Regie

Dylan
Re: mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
Dylan

Running a ozone generator may help also in addition to usuing a solution

ordjen
Re: mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
ordjen

Look into Concrobium. It is a mold remover and retardant. It is totally odorless and harmless to humans. They have a website and the product is carried by Home Depot.

Dan
Re: mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
Dan
Regina wrote:

Hello, toh409!
Yes, you can use bleach mixed with water to get rid of mold. Apply it to the surface, wipe off, but then don't rinse, and leave until it dry. It would be much better if you'll set out air purifier for mold removal or a regular fan so your beams would dry faster. But please, don't forget that it's absolutely necessary to wear a respirator during the cleaning process, since both mold and bleach are quite dangerous for your health. 
Regie

Thanks for the resource Regie!

Keith
Re: mold removal from wood in damp basemrnt
Keith

In several TOH projects, they used a sodium borate solution called Boracare to kill mold and keep it from coming back.  It also drives off termites and other insects.  Boracare is pretty expensive, but it is your house after all and you probably won't need more than a gallon.

A similar product called Timbor is less expensive but more work.  It comes as a powder and it has to be disolved into water or ethylene glycol antifreeze.  This is messy and difficult, you will want to do this outdoors on a camp stove using a pot that you will never use for cooking again.  You do save quite a bit of money this way.

You can even save more by making your own solution.  It takes one pound of boric acid (roach powder) and a pound and a half of Borax (20 Mule Team Laundry Aid).  Mix this in one gallon of boiling water or antifreeze at 230 degrees or higher.  You can double the amounts of the powder if mixing into antifreeze and then mix in one more gallon of water to make 2 gallons of the final mix.

If you mix it with the antifreeze, do stay upwind of the fumes.  They are toxic.  The sodium borate itself is non toxic and environmentally friendly.  The antifreeze increases its effectiveness.  BTW, antifreeze by itself will control the mold but it won't protect against insects.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.