Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Molding & Carpentry>moisture in walls.... now what???
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
moisture in walls.... now what???

hello, we are at a loss of what to do. We bought our new construction Condo in Chicago about 14 months ago. Over this fall we received a lot of rain (Hurricane overflow), and noticed that three of our windows were leaking into the drywall (never had leaks before). We discussed this with the other two units in our building and they experienced much the same, even worse with water coming through the dry wall even when there wasn’t a window. We don’t trust our contractor anymore for various reasons, however the condo is still under warranty. We hired two different third parties to come look at the brick work/flashing and to test for moisture in the wall. The brick guy said that we have tuck pointing issues and flashing issues around the window, which we assumed and are planning to have fixed. The moisture detection found various points of moisture in our walls in and around the windows. This is my question. How do we know if that moisture has turned into mold and if we need the full mold removal, or if once our exterior leaks are fixed in the next few days, can we hope the walls will dry out and we wont need to tear down our dry wall??? I don’t want to be "had" by some contractor who tears out all our dry wall and charges thousands of dollars because we don’t know what to do and are scared of "mold" Please help!!!!

Re: moisture in walls.... now what???

I would call my homeowner's insurance agent and talk to them about water damage. Ask them who they use for repairs and mold remediation. There are mold remediation companies and that's all they do. It's a science and you really do want a specialist rather than someone with a few fans. If the insurance company is using someone, it means that (hopefully) they've had good luck/service from them. They won't get involved with the remediation but can recommend someone to you.

I realize you probably don't own the outside walls of your condo but if you're looking for outside contractors, that's a place to start with - the insurance company.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.