4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brian
microwave outlet...

I recently bought a new refridge, oven and microwave to be delivered at a later date. I thought about getting ahead of the game and taking out the microwave...it is above the oven now. When I unplugged it the lower part of the plug and outlet has a sticky green goo in it. Anyone know what it is and what I should do about it?

JLMCDANIEL
Re: microwave outlet...

Probably a mixture of grease and copper oxide. Copper oxide created by steam from cooking and the copper components in the plug and receptacle.

Jack

Brian
Re: microwave outlet...

is there any precautions I should take when cleaning it up?

JLMCDANIEL
Re: microwave outlet...

Personally I would turn off the electricity and replace the receptacle.
Jack

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.