Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>metal roofing insulation
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
metal roofing insulation

I am planning to replace my composition shingles with metal roofing. I remember hearing of a new product that is a sort of plastic waffle that is laid between the metal and the roof surface (wood plus felt etc). This creates a convective system that draws air under the metal and partially insulates the roof itself. I remember hearing that is was dveloped by a dentist or doctor and is equivalent to quite a bit of interior insulation. It may have been featured on "This New House" but I can't find any reference to it. Does anyone on this forum know about this product. Thanks

Re: metal roofing insulation

I haven't seen this specific product you refer to, but:

If you replace your plywood/OSB deck as well, you can apply e-reflective foil insulation (BTUFOIL) on top of your rafters/trusses, then plywood/OSB deck, felt paper and your metal roof.

If you don't replace your plywood/OSB deck, you can:
1. Apply e-reflective foil insulation (BTUFOIL) on top of the deck, following nailing instructions. Then apply your flet and metal roofing.
2. Apply ready cut foil segments (to match your rafters or trusses) under the deck and between the rafters/trusses. Felt and metal roof on top of the deck.

Insulation will reduce your energy consumption.

Always check local codes, which are subject to weather conditions.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.