My household will likely be moving long distance, from one state to another.
As we are not taking most of our furniture, but do have a lot of books, I've been trying to brainstorm and research the possibilities for us to get our stuff from Point A to Point B. Our car is small and cannot haul anything, but needs to be at the end destination itself. Here are some of the ideas:
- Full Service / Traditional Move, with us driving our car -- This seems like it would be cost prohibitive as we aren't moving any furniture (or very little)
- Companies who haul belongings on semi-trailers, where you pay by the foot, with us driving our car
- Companies with pods or crates, who haul them for you, with us driving our car -- One problem is that many of the companies do not offer pods for the destination
- USPS media mail for books
- Renting a moving truck, towing our car behind it -- U-Haul has a terrible reputation and Penske doesn't have a drop-off location near our destination
- Renting an RV with room for most of our stuff, towing our car behind it
- Air freight -- I'm not sure how to look into this
As I've never moved like this before, I am sure there are options I have not thought of. Does anyone have any other ideas, comments on the ideas I've posted, or any other recommendations? Thanks so much!