Home>Discussions>DOORS & WINDOWS>Living Room Window Leaking
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Living Room Window Leaking

i have recently purcased (04/2007) a house, 100 years old. Which had new pvc windows and door installed 2006.
Recently after some heavy rain, the living room window started leaking, from the celing on the inside of the window, above the sill, (best way to describe where the window is in the wall, there).
when i viewed the house, (still is now,) the plaster board was missing, and i was told a leak had been fixed, just hadn't replaced this board. but leaked again, sellers said far as they new was fixed, because after some heavy rain no leaks.
they never given me any details of the leak, just it leaked...

have been given some pointers but have been away from home and haven't got to check...
flashing, guttering (i know works, and is well clear of this window, what i think could be the cause, is the windows sills on the next floor not sloping away enough and holding water, could this be the cause?

any suggestions to help me following the wrong path would be great,
Thank you

Re: Living Room Window Leaking

One problem I had faced with this type Of sill was that water was running under the window and into the wall. You may be able to fix that by opening the window and caulking between the sill and the stoop.

Re: Living Room Window Leaking

i've just realised that this is an american based site, i'm in Wales (UK), and i'm living in a mining valley (when this house was built) walls are about 1-2 foot deep, no cavity from what i can see, looking up where the board should be....

as with caulking, how wolud i go about it, 1/2-1 foot, PVC window, 1/2-1 foot (build up of wall) on the internal side looking straight up, odd stone (ie. not brick) wall...

Re: Living Room Window Leaking



Water coming in the top of the window is usually caused by a failed or missing window drip cap.

This is a piece of metal, often aluminum, or zinc on older homes that has lost its seal.

Caulking compound alone is insufficient to divert the water coming down the house siding out & over the window top, so it goes inside as a bad leak.

Google "window drip cap" for more information.


Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.