I am hoping someone here can answer this. We had a leak around a window last month. We ripped out all of the drywall and insulation that had become wet. There was a little mold on some of the drywall, but we removed it and threw it out and cut out an extra six inches of drywall in all directions and it was clean.
We had a contractor come by to fix the leak. He said the wood framing around the window that had gotten wet still looked good to him and we should just treat it with a borax/water solution to prevent or kill mold. We did and the area has not been wet since. The wall is still opened up in that room and it doesn't smell moldy, but it smells damp and stale. We need to close it up, but the smell concerns me. I have showed it to a couple of friends who are fairly knowledgeable about home repairs and they just say that it's an old house with old wood framing that has been closed up for decades, so it stinks a little bit. Are they right? Has anyone else opened up old walls during a reno and just had a damp/stale smell? There really is no evidence of lingering mold.