10 posts / 0 new
Last post
AngelaHocevar
Leaky Patio Sliding Door

I need your expert help. I recently bought a Perma-Shield patio sliding door from Anderson Windows. The problems I have been experiencing are that whenever there is rain (and not just strong wind-driven storms), moisture appears inside the house in the "sill tank" at the bottom of the door; furthermore, during the winter I feel a cold draft coming in from the bottom of the door from the same area that is allowing moisture indoors. I suspect that if a cold draft is coming in during the winter, that I will be experiencing heat entering in the summer. I contacted Anderson Windows and their response to me was that the sliding door is designed to behave in the manner I described above. I really find this hard to believe, it’s so counter intuitive. The reason I bought a new sliding door was to keep out the rain, cold and heat - not to invite it indoors! Could you please opine - have you ever heard of this situation before? Are Anderson’s claims valid?

dj1
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door

Check your door frame for squareness. If it's out of square, square it off.

Timothy Miller
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door

Howdy, how did yo insulate and isolate the door from moisture outside? Did you run a few heavy beads of a good caulk on the sub floor prior to install? Did you use non expanding spray foam on the sides and top to air seal it to the wall framing? Dap foam gives me no worries as it does not press against the door & or windows but does a great job water proofing and air retarding.

motoguy128
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door

Any chance it was installed backwards so the drain holes in the track are inside rather than outside. Maybe they ordered a LH instead of a RH and the installer tried to "fix it" by installing it backwards.

dj1
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door

Other possible defiencies:

1. Flashing around the door.
2. Seal between the slab and the bottom of the railing.

Mastercarpentry
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door
motoguy128 wrote:

Any chance it was installed backwards so the drain holes in the track are inside rather than outside. Maybe they ordered a LH instead of a RH and the installer tried to "fix it" by installing it backwards.

This seems most likely here. You can determine the inside from the outside by looking for "weep holes" which allow water in the track to escape outside- they will only be on the outside, not the inside, and must be kept clear of debris to work properly.

I also have a problem with the response you got from Andersen. They make a very good product and while sliders do tend to not seal as well as French Doors that swing, a properly installed Andersen shouldn't have any noticeable air or water leakage for many many years. Something is very wrong here and it's most likely to be with the installation, not the doors.

Phil

ljpete48
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door
AngelaHocevar wrote:

I need your expert help. I recently bought a Perma-Shield patio sliding door from Anderson Windows. The problems I have been experiencing are that whenever there is rain (and not just strong wind-driven storms), moisture appears inside the house in the "sill tank" at the bottom of the door; furthermore, during the winter I feel a cold draft coming in from the bottom of the door from the same area that is allowing moisture indoors. I suspect that if a cold draft is coming in during the winter, that I will be experiencing heat entering in the summer. I contacted Anderson Windows and their response to me was that the sliding door is designed to behave in the manner I described above. I really find this hard to believe, it’s so counter intuitive. The reason I bought a new sliding door was to keep out the rain, cold and heat - not to invite it indoors! Could you please opine - have you ever heard of this situation before? Are Anderson’s claims valid?

Hi, I have the same problem exactly!! Anderson reps are unable or unwilling to do anything other than tell me they are "designed" to take on water (really??). Have you a resolution at this time? I am at a loss and will start writing letters but I am so disappointed at the price of the door versus the performance......why did I buy Anderson I wonder?
thank you!

dj1
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door
ljpete48 wrote:

Hi, I have the same problem exactly!! Anderson reps are unable or unwilling to do anything other than tell me they are "designed" to take on water (really??). Have you a resolution at this time? I am at a loss and will start writing letters but I am so disappointed at the price of the door versus the performance......why did I buy Anderson I wonder?
thank you!

Who installed your door? maybe the problem is in an imperfect instaltion job.

Sheboygan Home Owner
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door
ljpete48 wrote:

Hi, I have the same problem exactly!! Anderson reps are unable or unwilling to do anything other than tell me they are "designed" to take on water (really??). Have you a resolution at this time? I am at a loss and will start writing letters but I am so disappointed at the price of the door versus the performance......why did I buy Anderson I wonder?
thank you!

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem? It took me over four months to get the same answer from the Andersen rep-that the doors are "designed" to take on water. My builder and the supplier finally just sent the Andersen rep's info to me. I think they are in disbelief of the answer just as I am! Why would anyone design a door to allow the outside elements in?

keith3267
Re: Leaky Patio Sliding Door

If the water is confined to the track that the window rides in, then the window is working properly. There is no way to keep water from entering the track. Water hitting the glass is going to run down and will seep into the track. There should be weep holes on the outside of the track for the water to drain out. If the weep holes are on the inside due to improper installation, or if they are plugged up, then water will build up and leak into the house.

Sliding glass windows are notorious for leaking air and there isn't much you can do about it. If you want them to slide, then air will get by the seals.

Your sliding glass door should have one moveable pane and one fixed pane. The fixed pane should be in the outer track. The outer track should have weep holes on the outside. Since you don't move the fixed pane normally, you can screw the frame of the glass to the frame of the door so that it can't be moved. I have seen some windows (had one actually) where the fixed pane would slide of enough force was applied to it. Without a lock on the fixed pane, it made it a break in point for thieves.

With the fixed pane secured, you could apply a bead of silicone caulk around the inside perimeter of the fixed sash. That would cut your infiltration in half, or almost in half. Only apply it to the inside, if you apply it to the outside, you will trap moisture and that will lead to other issues.

You can't do much with the moving sash short of dropping a broomstick in the track to increase security. The locks are usually pretty weak.

I have seen sliding storm doors in the past but haven't seen any lately. They would help if they are still available.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.