My wife and I recently purchased a historic home (200+ years old) in north central PA. The large chimney in the living room drips water during any rain. I have looked at the stone cap; it has a slight concave surface to the top, but not cracked.
The "liner" (stone and mortar) was cleaned by a sweep earlier this year; he couldn't give me a clear answer as to the condition of the flue!
I need to solve the leaking problem first--any thoughts? We want to use the fireplace as it is wonderful--complete with warming oven, but I want to be assured that it's intact.