12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Roybldg43
Knob and Tube

I have some wiring from the 1950s knob and tube. To remove a portion of it since I have demolishing one interior wall, will this mess up the rest of the wiring in the home? I already had a new 100 amp breaker panel installed but the rest of the home still has the old knob and tube. Suggestions to keep the cost down and if feasible. Also want to run new wire to move the old outlet that was in the wall.:confused:

HoustonRemodeler
Re: Knob and Tube

Ideally you should re-wire room by room, making each room its own circuit.

What you can do is have a longer range plan where you run a dedicated line to the new outlet and cut the old wired back to the next old remaining outlet. That way you don't have any exposed live wires, and you have a 'home run' to start your new wiring from.

But you'll find that a re-wire is easier to do all at once.

Re: Knob and Tube
HoustonRemodeler wrote:

Ideally you should re-wire room by room, making each room its own circuit.

What you can do is have a longer range plan where you run a dedicated line to the new outlet and cut the old wired back to the next old remaining outlet. That way you don't have any exposed live wires, and you have a 'home run' to start your new wiring from.

But you'll find that a re-wire is easier to do all at once.

Great advice and now is the perfect time.

HoustonRemodeler
Re: Knob and Tube

Thanks Maurice, Its nice to know I'm not as dangerous as I think. ;)

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Knob and Tube

Removing a section of K&T wiring can affect much more than just that area. I have seen K&T installed with the hot going up one wall and neutral up a wall on the other side of the house. Each are feeders feeding lights and outlets in several rooms and on several floors. Best to disconnect that wire and see what else is affected, a wire around may be needed until you get the rewiring done.

Jack

Re: Knob and Tube
houstonremodeler wrote:

thanks maurice, its nice to know i'm not as dangerous as i think. ;)

lol:):):):)

Re: Knob and Tube
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Removing a section of K&T wiring can affect much more than just that area. I have seen K&T installed with the hot going up one wall and neutral up a wall on the other side of the house. Each are feeders feeding lights and outlets in several rooms and on several floors. Best to disconnect that wire and see what else is affected, a wire around may be needed until you get the rewiring done.

Jack

Very true Jack...our ancestors got very creative.

I always leave a little pigtail at a connection I cut so I can reconnect with a wirenut if I have to. Saves dragging out that 300W soldering iron:)

dj1
Re: Knob and Tube

You want to keep your costs down?

Rewire the whole house now, since you already upgraded your panel, and you'll save money in the long run.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Knob and Tube
The Semi-Retired Electric wrote:

Very true Jack...our ancestors got very creative.

I always leave a little pigtail at a connection I cut so I can reconnect with a wirenut if I have to. Saves dragging out that 300W soldering iron:)

I had one house where they ran the wires up the back wall on opposite sides, across the attic floor and down the front wall. Every outlet and ceiling light was branched off the one circuit.

Jack

Roybldg43
Re: Knob and Tube
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Removing a section of K&T wiring can affect much more than just that area. I have seen K&T installed with the hot going up one wall and neutral up a wall on the other side of the house. Each are feeders feeding lights and outlets in several rooms and on several floors. Best to disconnect that wire and see what else is affected, a wire around may be needed until you get the rewiring done.

Jack

Okay Thanks. What is a wire around exactly?

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Knob and Tube

Wire around is just a jumper you reroute and connect between the two ends.

Jack

Pages

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.