11 posts / 0 new
Last post
RedoAnnie
Interior Wall Finish repair

The house is 15 yrs. old - the interior walls were finished in an uneven rough texture and am not sure what was used. The applicattion is very inconsistent through the house. The finish absorbs any spills, so this is really bad in the kitchen. If you try and wipe a spill the finish comes off down to the wallboard. It easily flakes off too. It is not popcorn. I saw an article about being able to plaster over popcorn ceilings and hope all of the walls in this home can be plastered over and fresh paint applied. Suggestions are appreciated.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair

If the finish comes off as easy as you say, I would scrap or wash of ass much as possible then skim-coat. If you don't the existing finish may come off in the skim-coat and just make more of a mess.

Jack

A. Spruce
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair

It sounds like the walls were never painted. I'd follow Jack's recommendation and remove as much as possible, fix any damage, retexture, then prime and paint.

GulfGirl
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair

Removing all the original wall finish may be out of the question if your family continues to live in the home while you do these projects. Talk about a BIG MESS !

There are an abundance of cool wall finishes that you could go over the top with and have a classic look. Many of them have age old charm w/ a bit of a hand troweled look so you wouldn't have to fret over perfect smoothness.

For one, do a search on "american clay" ...for another "Vella Plaster", ...another is Valentino by Omega Plaster.

I found a good list of a whole bunch of sources if you do a search for "DAC-ART/venetain-plaster"

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair
GulfGirl wrote:

Removing all the original wall finish may be out of the question if your family continues to live in the home while you do these projects. Talk about a BIG MESS !

There are an abundance of cool wall finishes that you could go over the top with and have a classic look. Many of them have age old charm w/ a bit of a hand troweled look so you wouldn't have to fret over perfect smoothness.

For one, do a search on "american clay" ...for another "Vella Plaster", ...another is Valentino by Omega Plaster.

I found a good list of a whole bunch of sources if you do a search for "DAC-ART/venetain-plaster"

All good ideas but the OP stated "If you try and wipe a spill the finish comes off down to the wallboard. It easily flakes off too." I would not recommend trying to do any type of skim coating over such an unstable finish.

Jack

A. Spruce
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

All good ideas but the OP stated "If you try and wipe a spill the finish comes off down to the wallboard. It easily flakes off too." I would not recommend trying to do any type of skim coating over such an unstable finish.

Jack

Agreed! :cool:

A. Spruce
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair
PaintPro wrote:

I suggest a different approach:

Prime the whole surface with an oil based primer like Zinsser Coverstain or Kilz. Next, lightly sand the walls with a pole sander (sold at big box or hardware)- the primer will seal and prevent any texture from coming off the wall.

And you would be wrong, as usual.

Paint of any kind, including primer, is only as good as the base surface it's being applied to. A surface in as bad of condition as is indicated by the OP should be repaired properly, not in the haphazard band-aid approach you're suggesting.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair
PaintPro wrote:

I suggest a different approach:

Prime the whole surface with an oil based primer like Zinsser Coverstain or Kilz. Next, lightly sand the walls with a pole sander (sold at big box or hardware)- the primer will seal and prevent any texture from coming off the wall.

Now you can skim coat the walls with drywall compound and sand smooth. I would only "bite off" one room at a time because this is a big undertaking.

One other thought is that you might consider paying a pro drywall-er to do the skim part and you do all the rest.

community.homedepot.com

Obviously being an associate at Home Dept for 5 years doesn't make you a paint pro.

Jack

jkirk
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair

precisely, some of the most ill informed/ least informed ive met are home depot associates. out of the two home depots in my city theres only one associate who is worth asking any technical questions... hes the contractor desk manager who is a licensed carpenter.. however do to injuries he cant work at his trade.. other than that its a 50/50 gamble to ask a hd staffer where to find things let lone anything technical

dj1
Re: Interior Wall Finish repair

Most HD associates are ill equipped to answer questions, and people can accept that.

But some of their subcontractors are less than qualified as well, and that's unacceptable.

Just see the number of consumers involved in law suits against HD and their installers.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.