Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>Insulation and vapor barrier for cinderblock home in flood prone area
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Insulation and vapor barrier for cinderblock home in flood prone area

I own a cinderblock house from the 1960’s in eastern North Carolina.  The house was damaged by a hurricane and has been gutted down to bare studs.  The exterior cinderblock walls have 1” furring strips installed and there is no vapor barrier or insulation installed at this time.  My plan was to add 2” inch lumber to the existing furring strips and use foam (closed cell) insulation but I wanted to get advice from the forum before proceeding.

What do you recommend for the type insulation and vapor barrier for a house located in a flood prone area? 

Where should the vapor barrier be installed in my region with masonry construction?


Re: Insulation and vapor barrier for cinderblock home in...

Vapor barrier always goes on the inside of the wall.  Are the furring strips you mentioned on the inside of the exterior walls or the exterior.  Some people furr the outside and insulate, cover with stucco so that the block walls become a large thermal mass, storing heat gain in the day and releasing it at night. 

Most furr on the inside, insulate, vapor barrier and sheetrock.  The vapor barrier will not be necessary in your case if there is no ventilation from inside of the block wall to the outside as often is the case.  It does not matter what you insulate with, if you flood, water will get into the house and it will all have to be ripped out again.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.