The fireplace in my townhouse isnt working anymore and needs to be replaced. This past winter my wife and I noticed a lot of drafts coming through the fireplace and decided that when we replaced the fireplace, we would re-insulate it to try to remove some of those drafts.
The fireplace is a vent free fireplace and is installed in a doghouse, or a cutout in the side of the house. Im assuming that when it was originally installed, there was never any insulation put in the doghouse.
There is probably at least a foot clearance between the 2x4s in the doghouse and the sides of the fireplace. How should I properly insulate this? Anyone have any recommendations of what type of insulation to use?
I have also used the "insulation in a can" in my garage to plug up drafts coming through the garage into the house and it worked wonderfully. Its sold at home depot and lowes and made by DOW. Does anyone know of anything like that which would be good to insulate cracks in the doghouse around my fireplace?