Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Installing a sub-panel in a detatched garage
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Installing a sub-panel in a detatched garage

I want to install a sub-panel in a new detached garage. I have been told several different ways of how to do this and what materials to use. I am hoping that someone with some electrical experience can shed some light on the subject.

First, the garage is approximately 120' away from my main panel. I already have a ditch dug and plan on installing conduit to hold whatever wire I purchase. The garage is going to primarily be used as a wood shop. I have a small planer, table saw, router, etc. The most equipment that would ever be run at the same time would be lighting, a planer, and a small dust collector. I would like to have 220v in the garage in the event that I ever buy a large piece of equipment that would require 220v.

I have been told to put a 60 amp breaker in my main box as my power source. Use #6-3 copper wire to run to the sub panel.

In researching the subject online, it seems NEC may requires at least a four wire run with a separate grounding rod at the sub-panel. Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to do it right the first time.:) Thanks

Re: Installing a sub-panel in a detatched garage

I will just hit the high points.

Once you run the wire underground you are in a “wet location” per NEC and I doubt it you will find a 6-3 cable to pull through the conduit that meets that rating. You would be better off pulling individual conductors at a THWN or XHHW rating.

Yes you need to pull 4 conductors, isolate the ground from the neutral in the sub-panel and install a new grounding electrode system at the garage/shop. Including your local requirements for ground rods which may be two rods driven a minimum of six feet apart as well as bonding other metal systems in the building.

The grounding and neutral split is simple in the sub-panel. Just buy a ground bar kit that screws dirctly to the panel-can and do not bond the neutral bar that comes with the panel to the ground bar or panel-can.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.