Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>How to secure/staple cable in tight space?
12 posts / 0 new
Last post
oryan_dunn
How to secure/staple cable in tight space?

I've have several places where the studs and floor joists are just 3-4" apart and need to have wiring run in the cavity. The challenge is how to staple the cable in this space. Does anyone know if there is a special staple for tight spaces? Or any other tricks for securing the cable in these spaces?

Thanks,
Ryan

kentvw
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?

Here's one way. Your home center/hardware store should also have some cable stackers that can be nailed on at an angle from the front.

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcCOJimCbleSpprt.asp

Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?
oryan_dunn wrote:

I've have several places where the studs and floor joists are just 3-4" apart and need to have wiring run in the cavity. The challenge is how to staple the cable in this space. Does anyone know if there is a special staple for tight spaces? Or any other tricks for securing the cable in these spaces?

Thanks,
Ryan

go to grainger item# 1XFC3 http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?L2=Cable+Anchors&operator=prodIndexRefinementSearch&originalValue=electrical&L1=Electrical

kentvw
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?
Infraredsurvey.com wrote:

go to grainger item# 1XFC3 http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?L2=Cable+Anchors&operator=prodIndexRefinementSearch&originalValue=electrical&L1=Electrical

Can an individual buy from Grainger without a business license and commercial account? Just curious.

David
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?

You can use a regular staple and hammer it with lineman pliers or the side of the hammer. Be careful not to hit the cable. I have had to do the same between a door and a stud for a switch.

oryan_dunn
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?
college student wrote:

You can use a regular staple and hammer it with lineman pliers or the side of the hammer. Be careful not to hit the cable. I have had to do the same between a door and a stud for a switch.

That is precisely one of my situations.

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?

i couldn't get grainger to do a retail without a tax exempt certificate or a buisness ID number.

its greenlee upc number 12201 (25 CA1's in a package) and you can get it or order it from electrical supply or retailer.

holds four 10-2wG NM, four 12-2 w/G NM, 8 14-2 w/G NM*, or four 14-3 w/G NM. didn't use for NM we used for cat cables got from computer supply.

this is the greenlee catalog page:

http://www.mygreenlee.com/Products/main.shtml?p_search=12201&greenlee_category_id=100&Submit=Find

find a greenlee distributor near you: http://www.greenlee.com/wheretobuy.shtml

alternative might be to staple on the other side of the stud where you have room dont think they have to be secured every stud.

A. Spruce
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?
kentvw wrote:

Can an individual buy from Grainger without a business license and commercial account? Just curious.

I don't know about online purchases, but anyone can buy at the local store, no restriction. I've always found Grainger to be a more expensive outlet for things that are fairly readily available through more convenient channels.

havanagranite
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?
A. Spruce wrote:

I don't know about online purchases, but anyone can buy at the local store, no restriction. I've always found Grainger to be a more expensive outlet for things that are fairly readily available through more convenient channels.

if you have farm bureau insurance you get a discount there which does help offset their higher prices

David
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?

There are several options out there if space prevents a regular romex staple. Many low voltage cable organizers(for studspace) are able to be used with medium voltage cable/romex. This is one example that has worked well. 3M Cable Stacker SI-1
You might have to go to an electrical ditributor.

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: How to secure/staple cable in tight space?

heres some bridgeport fittings options:
bracket clamp
http://www.bptfittings.com/specification.asp?CATALOG_ID=NMCB-1
stacker
http://www.bptfittings.com/specification.asp?CATALOG_ID=NMCB-2
stacker
http://www.bptfittings.com/specification.asp?CATALOG_ID=NMWH-43

you can drive the screws with a 1/4" socket driver and a magnetic screw tip in tight spaces.

Pages

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.